According to multiple reports and surveys, Canadians report feeling more stress in the past few years. Many people feel stressed due to worries about the future, jobs, family issues and more. It helps to understand how stress negatively affects people and how to reduce it.
How stress affects health
Stressful situations can cause the heart to beat faster and blood pressure to rise. Also, it may disrupt some hormone and liver functions. Some people experience gastrointestinal issues, such as nausea, diarrhea or constipation. When stress becomes a chronic problem, it may lead to these negative long-term health effects:
- Persistent pain
- Acid reflux
- Type 2 diabetes
- Thyroid problems
- Increased risk of heart attack or stroke
- Mental health disorders
How stress affects daily life
The mental health effects of stress take a toll on daily life. People often feel angry, sad, depressed, anxious or mentally exhausted. These are just a few potential examples of how stress can affect daily life:
- Poorer work performance
- Low libido
- Withdrawal from social activities
- Inability to meet family obligations
- Lack of ambition to exercise
These problems negatively impact relationships and can even threaten a person’s livelihood. It is important to manage stress in healthy ways.
Valuable stress management tips
One key to reducing stress is to promote relaxation. These are some impactful ways to lower stress:
- Learn and practice mindfulness and relaxation techniques
- Talk to a therapist to learn how to manage triggers or avoid them
- Set realistic goals and plans to achieve them each week
- Commit to a healthy diet and exercise routine
- Try to do something new each week to discover interests or hobbies
- Use physiotherapy to restore the body, build strength and improve mobility
Physiotherapy in Surrey
To help promote Stress Awareness Month, the Surrey physio health experts at painPRO welcome people who are dealing with stress to discover the mental and physical health benefits of physiotherapy. With a patient-focused approach, our team develops customized plans to help improve each person’s quality of life.
There are two convenient Surrey physio locations, including North Surrey City Centre and Surrey Memorial. Please contact us for more information on physiotherapy in Surrey.